Monday, March 1, 2010

THANKFULNESS (DEVOTIONAL)

SERIOUSLY, WHAT DOES "BEING THANKFUL" MEAN?

thank·ful (thāngk'fəl)
adj.
Aware and appreciative of a benefit; grateful.

Expressive of gratitude: a thankful smile.

Essentially, we're expressing gratitude regarding a gift (ie, someone we love, a great parking space close to the store on a rainy day, someone opening a door, birds chirping after a loooong winter, etc).

Being thankful inherently indicates contentment in that moment... Expressing thankfulness seems to usher in an attitude of thankfulness (and vice versa)- which gives you a new lens through which you see others and helps you to receive their actions in a way that won't shake your foundation as much as they might have otherwise.

1 Thessalonians 5:18
Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to (ask/choose to belong to) Christ Jesus.("Jesus, please show me Who You are...I want you to live in my heart and to follow You.")

Good circumstances? Bad? When are we to be thankful? "...in ALL circumstances." It's not easy to be thankful in tough or painful situations but it is essential.

For example, if someone for whom you open the door doesn't look at you or say, "thank you"...you might have more grace for that person if you have an attitude of thankfulness...it is POWERFUL!!

Remember when I shared that "thankfulness indicates contentment in that moment?" Contentment means
1. the state of being contented; satisfaction; ease of mind.
2. the act of making contentedly satisfied.

Thankfulness produces an "ease of mind" and grows a state of satisfaction. If we want to have satisfaction in a moment of discontentment, what do you do? Workout? Grumble? Worry? Distract yourself? OR, do we go against the grain of our programming of entitlement and seek thankfulness?

Here's the kicker: When we are thankful, TO WHOM OR WHAT are we thanking? Mother nature? Ourselves? Coffee? WHO ARE WE THANKING?

Ephesians 5 "...Instead, let there be thankfulness to God."

Being thankful isn't enough unless we are thanking the One Who gave us life and Who lives to woo us to Himself. When I went through a heartbreaking situation 10 years ago, I remember thinking, "I don't need a man to buy me a gerber daisy (my fav flower)." I felt as though God was touching my heart with the realization that He wanted to give me one... that He made Gerbers for us to enjoy and care for/nurture. I bought one from Marsh and put it by my computer at Roche. It was so simple and so pure...that flower gave me such joy b/c I remembered that I was/am loved so deeply by God. I was able to grasp it at that moment... I thank God for giving me that joy and for that memory...

Matthew 7:11
So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, HOW MUCH MORE will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those WHO ASK HIM.

Who created the trees, flowers, birds, rivers, seas, and us? :) Who gave us the talents to create? All things come back to Him...

I hear friends talk about "positive energy" and negative energy." Do I believe in energy? Definitely...

What some term as "energy" my heart interprets as the attitude of the heart. When I am discontent and attacked by entitlement then I definitely have a negative attitude. My emotions follow my attitude...and my actions follow my emotions. Usually I have a negative attitude when something isn't going my way or b/c someone/Someone isn't doing what I want in the way or timing I would prefer.

I can't have true, lasting peace and wholeness unless I know Jesus... and yet I have difficulty accessing the ability to pray/seek Him/trust Him sometimes. I wrestle through my tempermental emotions to thank God some days but then my heart seems to melt and open up to what God wants to show me. Does that make sense? Thankfulness initiates and thankfulness results.

John 14:27
" Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.


Psalm 139:23-24 (New Living Translation)

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 Point out anything in me that offends you,
and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

I'm thankful for how God has put people in my life to show me His love... I am thankful that Jesus prays for me (Romans 8- LOVE that chapter) and helps me pray; I am thankful that He is a very present help (Psalm 46); I am thankful for His comfort when I am hurting; I am thankful that God will help me see my selfishness and anxious thoughts- then guides me through; I am thankful for His unconditional love; and I am thankful for Jesus who took ALL of my sin (and yours) upon Himself as to give us freedom from guilt & condemnation...to make a way to know Him intimately as a Father.


Colossians 2:7
Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on Him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.

Let's let our roots go DEEP down into Christ- Meaning, ask to know Him more. Ask... :) It's that simple... If we don't ask, why??? Are you not ready? Do you feel as though God won't give you the desires of your heart? Why???

Love you all!!
Mer

No comments:

Post a Comment